By Diane Bolger
An authoritative consultant on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main updated, finished assurance of gender archaeology, with an unique concentrate on prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to tests of present tendencies and customers for destiny research
- Focuses on contemporary 3rd Wave techniques to the research of gender in early human societies, difficult heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features various local and thematic subject matters authored by way of tested experts within the field, with incisive insurance of gender study in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read Online or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Similar archaeology books
The Bible was once intended to be understood. It was once written within the languages of the typical guy. the recent testomony wasn't written within the language of the student, however the language of guy on the street. So why are the unfulfilled prophecies so challenging to appreciate? They have been written to the folks residing over 2,000 years in the past.
This handbook pulls together—and illustrates with attention-grabbing case studies—the number of really good and generalized archaeological learn techniques that yield new insights into technology. through the publication there are templates, inclusive of questions, to aid readers visualize and layout their very own initiatives.
This publieation summarizes an preliminary unpublished record (1971) on diagnostie eriteria in dry bones. The correct examine used to be made in 22 medieal museums in Europe, England and Seotland among 1966 and 1969. approximately 670 dry bones have been reeorded by way of over 2000 images. Emphasis is plaeed on ehanges for whieh diagnostie eriteria are proposed instead of on these for whieh diagnostie difficulties stay.
Drawing its various examples from Britain and past, Archaeological research explores the methods utilized in box archaeology traveling over the complete technique from discovery to booklet. Divided into 4 components, it argues for a collection of ideas partly one, describes paintings within the box in part two and the way to write down up partially 3.
- Diversity and Complexity in Prehistoric Maritime Societies: A Gulf of Maine Perspective
- Iron Age Myth and Materiality: An Archaeology of Scandinavia AD 400-1000
- Public Archaeology
- Circumpolar Lives and Livelihood: A Comparative Ethnoarchaeology of Gender and Subsistence
- Foragers, farmers, and fossil fuels : how human values evolve
- The Ancient Mind: Elements of Cognitive Archaeology (New Directions in Archaeology)
Additional resources for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
Wright, ed. Pp. 224–250. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. Crenshaw, Kimberlé, 1989 Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory, and Antiracist Politics. University of Chicago Legal Forum 14:538–554. Davis, Kathy, 2008 Intersectionality as Buzzword: A Sociology of Science Perspective on What Makes a Feminist Theory Successful. Feminist Theory 9(1):67–85. Díaz-Andreu, Margarita, Sam Lucy, Staša Babić, and David N.
Rowlands, and C. Tilley, eds. Pp. 29–40. London: Unwin Hyman. , 2003 A Century of American Archaeology in the Middle East: Looking Back and Looking Ahead. In One Hundred Years of American Archaeology in the Middle East. D. R. Clark and V. H. Matthews, eds. Pp. 7–17. Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research. , 2006 Gender and Archaeology in South and Southwest Asia. In Handbook of Gender in Archaeology. S. M. Nelson, ed. Pp. 667–690. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. Slocum, Sally, 1975 Woman the Gatherer: Male Bias in Anthropology.
London: Leicester University Press. , 1993 Women in Archaeology: A Feminist Critique. Canberra: Department of Prehistory, Australian National University. Ehrenberg, Margaret, 1989 Women in Prehistory. London: British Museum Publications. Engelstad, Ericka, 2007 Much More than Gender. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory 14:217–234. Fausto-Sterling, Anne, 2000 Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality. New York: Basic Books. Foucault, Michel, 1981 The History of Sexuality: An Introduction, vol.
A Companion to Gender Prehistory by Diane Bolger